Sunday, January 18, 2009

Strange


Just before I go to bed, before my company's National Sales Meeting in 9 hours' time, I just want to post something that I had in my mind for a long time.

I'm not sure about you, but I just find that those bloggers who had received the Blogs of Note award, apart from Traveling Chemist, they seem to be more disengaging and unsociable, as compared to those who had never got that award. Until today, they had never responded to any of my comments. And most probably, they had never read my blog, less to say follow it, since none had ever commented on any of my posts, apart from Traveling Chemist, of couse. And of course, I don't mean to say that just because I commented on their blogs, they should read my blog, or respond to my comments, but I just feel that it's only courteous to reply to someone's comment, rather than ignoring them. What do you think? Perhaps they have their reasons, like maybe their mommys are still telling them not to talk to strangers. Or perhaps they don't know why Elmo can't count. I don't know...

So I JUST might change my ritual of adding a new Blogs of Note winner every beginning of the month. I mean, I do enjoy reading their blogs, but to be treated like I never existed is not very nice. Could it be the somebody-nobody thingy? You know, they are somebody and I'm a nobody? Hmmm... regardless of who commented on my blog, even if I am a somebody, I will still make an effort to acknowledge their presence here on my blog, and of course, reply them. It's just not me to ignore someone's comment.

Could it be because they are getting more than 10 comments per post, and therefore, feel overwhelmed and not sure how to respond to all that? Or just have no time to respond to all that? Or perhaps they had no idea how to reply to a comment? Or how to post a comment?

I know... the best thing is to ask them myself, but I never liked confrontational questions. And what makes me think that they will reply me, since they had never responded to any of my comments?

Hmmm... why blog then? Isn't a blog a medium for you to share with the online community about your life, your knowledge, your experiences, your expertise? And if you are planning not to reply to your blog readers' comments, then, why leave the comment box open for commenting? For commentators to read other people's comments? Hmmm... weird.

Please feel free to complete the poll that I had created below, so that I can roughly gauge what do most people prefer when it comes to commenting on someone's blog :) And don't worry, your privacy is protected (no one will know who answered what, not even me), and I will share with you the full results once I close it.



4 Comments:

Blogger Ron said...

I totally agree with you, John! I think it's rather rude for someone not to reply to your comments or inquiries about their blog. It totally defeats the purpose of blogging for the public to read.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:51:00 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

It is rude when you inquire about another's blog, make a comment on another's blog and they don't acknowledge you had even been there, especially when you're trying to promote their blog on your own like you do with blogs of note.
It doesn't really bother me when folks read my blog and have nothing to say to a post though. I'm not usually educating people about anything important and I figure those who read and don't comment just don't have anything to add to my ramblings on any given day. You are my number one commenter, John! You don't know how much I appreciate that!
I would be a bit put-out though if I was promoting a blog of note and the author didn't even acknowledge my efforts.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger fl0rlee said...

ya, esp wen u wan sum 1's opinion or suggestion/feedback or etc...

well like u say, it cud be anything...

Monday, January 19, 2009 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger MysLykeMeeh said...

Well, some blogger doesn't really care, honest!

Just go on ur way! and blog ur heart out!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home